Three Cabins in Laketown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Titles and Positions

4 posters

Go down

Titles and Positions Empty Titles and Positions

Post  Hadithi Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Quick update. Coulter suggested the old Russian title of commissar for a political leader. I thought it sounded good and that communest titles would work well for us since we are trying to be fair and egalitarian. (note the communists didn't succed in this but their iconography and terms had the right idea in mind) a little resurch later I found that their titles are basically descriptive and ignore common rank so I'm suggesting we use some of the terms below.

Home base collectively: The Lookout
We are ditching the watch since the deathwatch is lame and we don't want to be confused with them but a lookout is a synonym so I'm titling our home base with that and giving us an individual name listed below but for the time being leaving us nameless because that's cool.

Political Leader: Commissar
Defensive Group Leader: Defensive Komkor (means single unit commander I figure usually and within a unit it will usually just be Komkor but if explaining a rank might include Komkor of what)
Flanking Group Leader: Flanking Komkor
Any member of our group: Broachman (relating to the badges we wear and a double ontandra since broach also means to advance, approach, or interpose which is kind of how we act. Note I know brooch is the common spelling of the pin but broach is also considered acceptable according to the dictionary.)

When we have 2 or more units
Army Commander: Comandarm

Everyone weigh in with likes and dislikes cause nothings set yet

Last edited by Hadithi on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lots of new info to add)

Hadithi
Admin

https://thelookout.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Titles and Positions Empty Re: Titles and Positions

Post  Julie Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

I'm diggin' on The Lookout for our group name, it gets the point across without being gaudy or verbose and distances us from The Deathwatch, which was a spectacularly lame group by all accounts.

I think Commissar and Komkor* are pretty sweet titles; I'm liking the Communist Russian theme. Also, I love the double entendre of Broachmen, very clever! I'm pretty excited about getting the group started, I began working on my shield today, it's pretty sweet so far!

Perhaps for the Army Commander we could use Voenkom, which is the English equivalent to the Russian word 'военком' which means 'War Commissar', and was Stalins title in the Red Army. (And yes, I did choose that link because it proved my point while showcasing Stalins wicked mustache.)

*Firefix wants me to correct this into Condor, which, while funny, doesn't seem quite as striking.

*edited to fix formatting

Last edited by Julie on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Julie
Julie

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadithi Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 am

Humm, I like the sound (like how it rolls off my tounge) of your suggestion but Commissar means a political non fighter based leader. Stalin then was the political and war leader which fit him. However our military leader will be the army commander with but he will be a soldier (which voenkom suggests he is not) and he will not be the political commander (which voenkom suggests he is.)

Plus I like how Comandarm sounds like some fantasy word for commander without sounding fake.

I do know though that meaning isn't super important here but it does make the huge nerd in me happy.

What's everyone else think?

Hadithi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Titles and Positions Empty Stalin's wicked mustache

Post  Hadithi Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 pm

*no I am not talking to myself this post is by Lissa who didn't notice she is in under my account*

I vote That if we get a voenkarm, he has to grow a wicked mustache as their mark of office.

J/k.

Otherwise, sounds good. It will take me a bit to get used to the new vocab.

Last edited by Hadithi on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong user name)

Hadithi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Titles and Positions Empty To clarify..

Post  Amarantha Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:48 pm

I think I like comandarm best for the title of leader of the military group. It sounds like something that would easily have been created from our common language (which for all intents and purpose is English). Also, my background doesn't have a Russian feel to it, so I feel strange using words that are blatantly Russian. The use of these words would make sense if someone had a background like that. It is a little easier to pronounce on the fly. If we get big, it would be cool to have a voenkom, assuming the mustache is mandatory for the position.

Amarantha

Back to top Go down

Post  Coulter Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Wow guys, I'm not sure if I can grow a mustache! I am anticipating only having 18 players tops (that would be ideal) so Comandarm sounds like a good humble name.
Coulter
Coulter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum